Conor McGregor makes first court appearance for Brooklyn altercation

Conor McGregor appeared briefly in a Brooklyn courthouse today for his first court appearance regarding charges stemming from the melee he created before UFC 223 in April.

McGregor appeared this morning at a hearing with his attorneys and manager Audie Attar regarding three misdemeanor charges for assault and a felony charge for criminal mischief.

The hearing lasted a little more than a minute and a second hearing date has been scheduled for July 26 as McGregor's team and the District Attorney's office continue to work on a possible plea agreement.

McGregor and members of his entourage entered the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn after a media event held for UFC 223 and proceeded to barge into the loading dock area where several buses were escorting the fighters back to their hotels after the conclusion of the event.

McGregor's attack was directed at Khabib Nurmagomedov who had been involved in another confrontation with McGregor's close friend and teammate, Artem Lobov, in a hotel lobby a few days before.

McGregor set in motion a ruckus when he began to throw a barrier towards the buses and eventually threw a hand truck towards the bus that was carrying Nurmagomedov and other fighters.  The hand truck shattered a window and sent glass flying, causing some of the debris to hit some of the other fighters.

UFC fighters Ray Borg & Michael Chiesa suffered injuries related to the attack and were not able to compete on the UFC 223 fight card. A UFC employee also suffered injuries and was taken to a local hospital.

McGregor has not competed in an MMA fight since Nov. 2016 when he defeated Eddie Alvarez to claim the lightweight title.  He is the only fighter in UFC history to hold two championships concurrently.

Part of McGregor's anger towards Nurmagomedov is the fact that the UFC stripped the popular Irishman of the lightweight title because of inactivity.

Nurmagomedov went to defeat last-minute replacement Al Iaquinta to become the undisputed lightweight champion. 

A mega-bout between Nurmagomedov and McGregor seems imminent.

McGregor did compete in a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather in Aug. 2017 and collected an estimated payday of $100 million.

UFC president Dana White has attempted to meet with McGregor several times to discuss his future and recently stated he would meet with him sometime this month, but nothing concrete can really be settled until this legal situation is resolved.

McGregor made a short statement after the hearing to reporters outside the courthouse.

"I regret my actions that led to today," said McGregor. "I understand the seriousness of this matter and I'm hopeful this will get worked out. Thank you, everyone."

It seems unlikely that McGregor will face actual jail time but lawsuits seem inevitable.